e-Learning @ York St John University

Monday, November 05, 2007

Second Life

Last week I attended a Second Life regional web group event, held at York University. The session was really well organised with lunch beforehand and then a presentation, which was streamed.

Two colleagues from Leeds Met demonstrated the work they had been doing in Second Life, which was extremely impressive. They are design tutors who have spent a lot of time creating a virtual realisation of the main Leeds Met Building, inside which, amongst other things, they present galleries of their students' artwork.

I love the idea of Second Life as an informal social learning tool, but I remain unconvinced as to its application to a wider academic community. I see it remaining a niche tool for technical enthusiasts, rather than something which will be wholeheartedly adopted by the academic community.

For those interested, this is the link to the presentation stream:
http://www.york.ac.uk/services/cserv/stream/site/gallery/secondlife/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home